Monday, January 5, 2015

Everywhere You Look (Second Edition)


This past summer my children left the nest and moved to the west. For Christmas we decided to celebrate at their new home. It was our first Christmas away in 25 years. This season has certainly come with a mix of emotions.  I've been tossed from complete happiness and joy for their courage and diligence to the reality of their adulthood and the possibility that they may always live far away.
                                                             

For some parents this is not a big deal, as a matter of fact, it's what's supposed to happen.

I never thought that way.

I guess I assumed they'd always be close.

I'm also tossed between the emotion of contentment and regret.  I see how they've grown into beautiful people.  Creative.  Caring.  Go-getters. Courageous. Compassionate. I struggle with wishing I could have just a little more time. Wondering if I could have done some things differently, made wiser choices, changed some things.


Our trip from the east to west was like time travel. We arrived at our destination at noon, but it was already 3pm at home. Wouldn't it be fascinating if we could travel back in time not only 3 hours, 
but 3 years, or 3 decades?



As I was driving myself bonkers with all of these emotions, I realized I was reacting in fear. Talk about "separation anxiety", I've had it big time.

However, in a still small voice, in the far end of my worry,
I hear a sweet whisper:

"Rest.  Trust.  Relax. You and your family are in my arms.  You've always been. Cast all your cares upon Me,
be strengthened."

So I made a decision, I have decided to stand on His words,
instead of my feelings.




Prior to my trip, with the ping-pong of thoughts, I could not think of one single resolution,  promise, word or anything I'd like to pursue in the new year.
I was blank.  

After I returned home, I decided to spend some real time reflecting on what my year's direction should look like.  (It's amazing how well I hear His voice once I decide to chill.) From not hearing anything, now I have an entire plan:  
a list of guidelines, one word, a motto, and my verse for the year.  
Wow! I believe the Lord has equipped me to handle this season of change.


1) Resist parking yourself in the "past" parking lot.


Remaining in the past keeps us blind to the present, limiting our possibilities for a great future.   Choose to move forward with God, right now, this moment. Yesterday cannot be rewritten, but that's ok.  The story is not over yet, there are still chapters waiting to be written.





2)  Resist parking yourself in an empty parking lot.  We so need each other!  Let's listen, learn, forgive, and bear each other's burdens, laugh together, cry together. . . This is not the time to sit home wishing, waiting, wanting, or wondering. This is the time to go out and see what other assignments God has prepared for us.




3)  Resist parking yourself in the "future" parking lot.  Worrying, fearing, being anxious about what may happen is no way to live.   There have always been challenging times for every generation. With God we are overcomers, and so are our children.  God knows what the future holds and He's already there preparing the way for us.


Let's find something to celebrate today, every day.  
Smile. Laugh. Forgive. Help.  Give. Enjoy. Sing. Move. Dance. Plan. Do.


4)  In fact, let's not park ourselves anywhere.  Let's live. Whether our children are faraway or close, if
our parents are here or in heaven,  if a friend or a loved one says good-bye, if someone is rude, if we're not acknowledged or given credit, __________________.  
(Add one of your own.) 
Let's live inspite of it all.


Release my children into His hands and purpose.
Release fear of the unknown, and trust for tomorrow.
Release what was, for the future is waiting in the horizon.
Release my grip and bask in the process.


LOOK
. . . at what God wants you to see.


   LISTEN
. . . to what God wants you to hear.  
 Clear out the mind clutter.


LOVE
. . . may it be my first and last response.


LIVE
. . .  for Him, through Him, because of Him.


. . .  AND, LET GO 





Please accept a big hug and thank you from the deepest part of me for taking a few minutes to read the lessons I've learned in 2014. I look forward to learning together in 2015.

I pray that God would bless you and your family beyond your imagination in this new year.  May He shower your life with favor and lovely serendipitous moments. 
(I love those!)




Linking Up 


By the Fullhouse house



"Whatever happened to predictability?
The milkman, the paperboy, evening T.V.?

Everywhere you look, 
everywhere you go (there's a heart),
A hand to hold onto.

Everywhere you look, everywhere you go,
There's a face,
Of somebody who needs you.

When you're lost out there and you're all alone,
A light is waiting to carry you home.
Everywhere you look."

2 comments:

  1. I think my favorite part of this is to find something to celebrate every day. We have to enjoy what we have now, because it will all change!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks again for visiting :)

A Little Encouragement ~

A Little Encouragement from Dr. Charles Stanley Scriptures Referenced: Philippians 4:6 -7 Psalm 16:7 - 8 Psalm 4:8 Psalm 27:1 Psalm 139:23 P...