Sunday, December 31, 2017

OLW 2018

The time has come, in a flash, I might add, 
to say farewell to another year.  
I'm sure 2017 will be a memorable one, for all of us.  
I feel as if it began quietly and ended in a roar.  
So many events, so many tears, so many . . .   

 There's a saying that I've heard quite often:
"I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds the future."  
These words are not just cliche anymore.  If there was ever a time in our generation to hold onto the One that holds the future, now is one of them.  

I heard of the One Little Word thing back in 2014.  
Here's a little description from Ali Edwards, one of the first to start the movement:



Here are some of the words I've had in the past:


I chose this word in 2014 after watching the video Mulan with my daughter during Christmas time.  In the plot, Mulan disguises herself as a boy in order to fight in the armed forces.  Had she not, her elderly father would have had to.  

While on the battlefield, she had to intentionally maintain an alert and strategic position to keep herself safe from the enemies.  That strategy resonated with me that year.  My position in Christ and my position in all the roles He has entrusted me with must be carried out with intention.  As I maintain my position, the Lord is able to carry out His mission in my family and me.


In 2015, I chose the word "release".  This was the year my husband and I became empty nesters.  My adult children moved out of the house, cross-country.  This was life-changing for me.  In all honesty, I never imagined my kids would move away, yet alone, cross-country.  So, my charge that year was to let them go, release them, and to begin the process of identifying myself as the mom of adult children.  


In 2016, I chose the word "re-joice", reminding myself that Joy is with me always.  
I reminded myself that year that real joy does not come from circumstances or possessions or even experiences.  These external sources of joy are like ibuprofen.  They take care of discomfort for a few hours, but when they wear off you're back where you started.  The joy that comes from the Lord is more like surgery.  It goes right to the place that causes discomfort and brings healing and restoration.  


Last year, 2017, my word was "JUST PRAY".  So, that is what I did.  I prayed.  I kept a prayer journal/planner.  And, each week I wrote out my prayers.  I poured out my heart before the Lord.  These moments were sweet and comforting and helped me make it through some very difficult moments.

These last few weeks I've been contemplating on my OLW for 2018.   I stumbled upon a phrase and it jumped out at me, "practice resurrection".  Looking it up in the internet, I found that Eugene Paterson has written a book called, "Practice Resurrection: A Conversation On Growing Up in Christ".  I have not read it yet, but it is an assignment I have given myself for 2018.  The word "arise" seems to correspond with the idea of "practicing resurrection".  So, this is going to be my 2018 OLW.       



Every day comes with its challenges, it's unexpected surprises and hardships.  
If we're not careful to intentionally live according to His word we can easily allow circumstances to strip life away from us; the life God intended for us to have, the life He wants to give us, a life filled with Him.  When I find myself slipping away, heading towards worry and anxiety or even fear, my OLW  "arise" will remind me to practice resurrection.  Christ resurrected so that I too may have an abundant life,  
a life anchored in Him and nothing else.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks again for visiting :)

A Little Encouragement ~

A Little Encouragement from Dr. Charles Stanley Scriptures Referenced: Philippians 4:6 -7 Psalm 16:7 - 8 Psalm 4:8 Psalm 27:1 Psalm 139:23 P...